North Carolina Runs Over Crimson Tennis Team, 8-1

By Frederick W. Byron jr.

The University of North Carolina tennis team came to town yesterday, still limping from a 9 to 0 defeat suffered at the hands of the University of Miami. The Southerners were expecting another tough contest with the Crimson, since the last two meetings between the squads produced a pair of very close matches.

Something went wrong with the Crimson, however, or perhaps something went right with North Carolina. They crushed the varsity, 8 to 1, and left the Crimson worrying a bit about Friday's meeting with the Miami tennis stars, most of them fresh from a year of "whiz-kidding" with Jack Kramer.

The only bright sport in a very dark day was the performance of Ben Heckscher at fourth singles. Heckscher defeated Pete Green in two sets, 7 to 5,6 to 4 to give the Crimson its only win of the afternoon. He kept the ball consistently in play and forced the North Carolina player to make the errors.

Junta vs. Thompson

The feature match of the day was the second meeting of the year between the varsity's Dale Junta and Don Thompson of North Carolina at first singles. On the southern trip Junta had won in three sets, and today, after the opening set, it appeared that the same thing would happen. Junta won it handily at 6 to 3, making some of the finest shots of his varsity career. Afterwards, Thompson asked his coach, "Did you see the amazing shots that guy's making?" That pretty well summed up the set.

Near the end of the opener, however, Junta pulled a muscle in his leg which slowed him up considerably. How was forced to cut down his aggressive tactics considerably and dropped the second set, 6 to 1.

Doubles Defeat

In the third set, Junta fought back to gain a 4 to 2 advantage, but Thompson picked up his game to square it at 4-all. With the score tied at 7-up Thompson broke Junta's serve to take an 8 to 7 lead, only to have Junta flight back for another service break and even the match at 8-all. At this point Junta appeared to break, and Thompson ran out the set and match at 3-6, 6-1, 10-8.

The only other close contest came at fifth singles.