Heavy Crews Race Penn, Navy While 150s Meet Yale, Princeton

Admirals' in Severn Event

By Gavin R. W. scott

The six Crimson crews venture into national competition tomorrow at Annapolis and Princeton, having pretty well swept their Charles River clean last week.

The heavies meet Penn and Navy, as well as the Naval Academy's 1952 Olympic champion "Admirals," on the Severn for the Adams Cup. At Princeton's Lake Carnegie, the 150-pound crews will race Yale and Princeton for the Goldthwait Cup.

Crimson prospects are uncertain in the varsity heavyweight event. Both Penn and Navy have lost to Princeton, which this year emerges as a major power in Eastern rowing, and while the Crimson rowed strongly in beating M.I.T. last Saturday, it must be noted that it has not dropped a race to Tech since 1950.

Admirals on Duty

An interesting sidelight to Saturday's Adams Cup race is the fourth entrant--Navy's famous "Admirals" who resumed drilling together only this April. The 1956 Olympic crew picture still is cloudy, and this race may well determine which of four or five Eastern eights are in contention.

Coach Harvey Love, who left yesterday with his heavyweight crews, has made no changes since last week's impressive victory. Stroked by Fritz Schwarz, the varsity eight has overcome early uncertainty and now is working effectively as a unit.

The lightweight races at Princeton are an important hurdle in coach Derrick Wilde's bid to bring the Crimson domination of Eastern 150-pound rowing.

The varsity 150's, stroked by sophomore Bob Foley, beat a graduate lightweight boat by 7.5 seconds over the Henley distance in time trials earlier this week, and Wilde said that they have been improving steadily since the season began. The Yardling 150's, last week's only loser, have also shown marked improvement, Wilde noted.