Big Red Defeats Varsity in Track

Cornell flaunted its great depth Saturday to shatter the varsity track team's hopes for an undefeated outdoor season. The Big Red took eight firsts and eight seconds in the 16 events to win a triangular meet at Ithaca, 79 5/6 to the Crimson's 56 11/12. Penn, a distant third, collected 36 1/4 points.

Despite several outstanding performances by the Crimson, it was all Cornell. Bo Roberson, the football speedster, led the Big Red with two victories, winning the 220 low hurdles and the unorthodox 95-yard dash. (The 100 yard dash course had been measured after Roberson had registered a sterling 0:09.4 and found five yards too short).

Cornell miler Mike Midler, set a new track record for that event with a 4:16.8. Ken Wilson of the varsity led the field with a 2:05 first half, but from there Midler took the lead, but on the back-stretch, Crimson miler, Phil Williams, sprinted past Midler into the lead. He had made his move too soon, however, as Midler passed him in the stretch to win by 10 yards. Williams' time was under 4:19, the best of his career.

For the varsity, Captain Art Siler stood out as he broke the University shot put record with a toss of 50 feet, 9 3/4 inches, but still finished second. Siler also won the discus with a heave of 153 feet, 3 inches.

The distance trio of Pete Reider, Ralph Perry, and Dave McLean continued its superiority over its two-mile opponents, sweeping the first three places.

Other Crimson winners were Chris Angermeyer in the javelin, Jim Cairns in the half mile, and Jack Murphy and Hank Moore in the high jump.