Crimson Ruggers Score First Win Over Yale in Three Years, 9 to 6

Crimson rugby knowledge beat Yale bulk on Saturday, as Harvard converted three penalty kicks to two by the Elis, winning 9 to 6 for the first victory over the Blue in three years.

Jim Joslin was again the big scorer for the Crimson taking all three successful Crimson placements to give Harvard its second straight win since California.

Yale faced the kickoff, and the habitually slow-starting Crimson immediately found that Yale football players McGill, Loucks, and Tarasovic were difficult men to stop. Had they been able to pass as well as run, the Elis might have built up an early lead.

The Crimson soon settled down, however, and after ten minutes Joslin kicked his first three pointer from 20 yards out to open the scoring. With Martin Lindsay getting the Crimson a large share of the set scrums, the threequarters (Rugby's backfield) had a good chance to gain ground. Only solid Yale tackling prevented a breakthrough, as Ash Hallett did a good job of fast passing in his first match at the pivot position of scrum half.

Yale was whistled for offside just before half time, and there was never any doubt about Joslin's fifteen-yard place kick. (6 to 0)

Shortly after play resumed, Crimson forward Dave Bodiker was forced out of the game with a knee injury. He returned ten minutes later, but not before Yale had made use of the no-substitution rule to work their way up-field and make their first penalty kick. (6 to 3).

The Crimson almost scored the game's first try (touchdown) as Captain Lionel Bryer broke through with a soccer-like dribble, only to be stopped five yards out. While Harvard was down there, Joslin utilized another Yale infringement to make the score 9 to 3.

A last minute Eli surge and a final Eli penalty kick closed the margin of defeat in the game, which was played to benefit the Yale Scholarship fund. The Crimson travels to Dartmouth and its Spring weekend for the final match of the season next Saturday.