Student Council May Recommend 'No Action' on Smoker Abolition

To Consider Tonight

The Freshman Union Committee's move to abolish the annual class Smoker will come up for Student Council consideration tonight. The Council may recommend that the subsidiary body take no decisive action.

The Union Committee issue was placed on the Council agenda by Merom Brachman '58, who will reportedly move that Committee action be deferred pending report from a Council-sponsored Smoker investigating group.

The Union Committee last week passed a motion to amend the Smoker out of the Committee's Constitution and thus out of existence. The amendment is scheduled to reach a final vote at the end of the required 15-day fallow period, ending after next week. A two-thirds majority of the Committee would eliminate the Smoker.

Should the Committee bow to a Council recommendation, provided such a recommendation comes out of tonight's discussion, the present Union Committee would lose the opportunity of abolishing the Smoker. The Council committee is not expected to report before next fall.

Brachman emphasized that the Council could not use its two-thirds veto power until after the Union Committee acts, but deemed such a veto quite possible either in a special session this term or at the start of next, should the freshman body pass the abolishing amendment.

Tonight's meeting is traditionally the last for the Council until fall, but a Council offical admitted the possibility of a special meeting during Reading Period to consider any freshman action.

Meanwhile, the Union Committee last night finished drafting the forth-coming class opinion poll which will be conducted following Social Relations Department clearance.