Annual Tourney Begins Next Week

Tennis Anyone?

The student on the left is one of many tennis enthusiasts who are or should be practicing for the coming Summer School tennis tournament. All those who haven't signed up yet should do so this week in Grays Hall. Play will begin next week, if plans run according to schedule.

The competition should be wide open, since last year's winner, Cal Place, and runner-up, Karl Purnell, are not at Summer School this year. Place was eighth man on the varsity this spring, and Purnell played in the number six spot for Jack Barnaby's team.

In last year's finals, Purnell took Place to five sets before losing 5-7, 6-1, 1-6, 6-2, 7-5, in a three hour marathon match.

All the matches will, as usual, be played on the Soldiers Field Courts, near the Harvard Stadium. There are stands surrounding the courts so that those who don't feel up to that much exercise may kibitz from the sidelines and observe the games finer points as the tournament nears the finals.

There will be championships in men's doubles and singles, women's singles and doubles, and also in mixed doubles.