Nuisance Notice

With the turning of the leaves and the rapid approach of the gridiron season, familiar grumblings about the system of ticket distribution again highlight dinner tabletalk. The old bruhaha continues to evoke undergraduate gripes and groans, most complainers failing to realize why they must bear the gross inconvenience of requesting their billets two weeks in advance.

The required two-week period, of course, forces the gamegoer to line up his date and make his plans before he is actually sure whom he would like to take or whether he would even like to go. This situation, resulting in many fumbled chances, also compels many fans to request free tickets which often go unused.

Unfortunate as these circumstances may be, they are, ostensibly at least, impossible to alleviate. The problem is compounded by alumni requests for seats and by a seriously undermanned and cramped distribution staff. The Old Grads have to request their tickets seventeen days before the game, in order for Joe Alumn in Peoria to have his stubs by the Monday preceeding the game. Precessing these orders, in addition to requests from graduate students, occupies a week of Frank Lunden's seven-man-team's time.

As the time schedule works out, the Office must begin to process undergraduate requests as they are wrapping up the other orders. Undergraduate envelopes, therefore, have to be in by the Monday of the Week preceeding the week of the game. This is necessary if the gamegoer is to have his tickets a week in advance, in order to put his participation card in again on Monday for the next game.

Lunden claims that every angle has been gone over, and the problem remains unsolvable. Yale manages the same situation, however, in ten days, and Dartmouth does it in seven. Two athletic cards per student might clear up some of it. With a little more money, study, and imagination, some solution might appear. Until that time, the Harvard grid fan should realize that the inconveniences caused him are neither insufferable nor easily solvable.