Stevenson Notes 'Great Danger' In 'Educational Crisis' of Today; Mitchell Cites 'False Statements'

MILWAUKEE, Sept. 28--Adlai Stevenson said tonight that the "crisis" in the American school system presents "a very great danger for our country."

In a major radio-TV speech, Stevenson said tonight that "unless something drastic is done, there will be over a million new school age children each year whom we do not have classrooms for."

The Democratic presidential nominee said the educational situation "adds up to a crisis for our schools that presents, in my judgment, a very great danger for our country."

Mitchell Attacks Adlai

WASHINGTON, Sept. 28--Secretary of Labor Mitchell went to President Eisenhower today with a claim that Adlai E. Stevenson made "false and irresponsible statements" about living costs.

In an Indianapolis speech today Stevenson said living costs were the highest in history and predicted higher prices to come.

Mitchell said he was challenging Stevenson for what he said was a statement that the cost of food was higher than ever before.

Braves Lose

ST. LOUIS, Sept. 28--Milwaukee's chance to take a commanding lead in the National League pennant battle was ruined tonight as the St. Louis Cardinals combined Ken Boyer's three-run double with some staunch relief pitching by Lindy McDaniel and Larry Jackson for a 5-4 triumph over the Braves.

The Braves still hold a one-half game lead oevr the defending champion Brooklyn Dodgers but they are all even in the vital games lost column.