Bruins Use Simmons as Goalie At Afternoon Practice in Watson

The Boston Bruins will present their new goalie, Don Simmons, in practice at Watson Rink this afternoon at 2 p.m. Simmons is replacing Norm Defelice, who filled in briefly for Terry Sawchuk. Sawchuk quit the club ten days ago because his "nerves were shot."

Defelice and rookie defenseman Jack Bionda then were traded to Eddie Shore's Springfield club in exchange for goalie Don Simmons. Another Bruin player will be sent to Springfield this spring to round out the recent trade.

After a workout Wednesday, again at Watson, Bruin forwards reported that Simmons "looks as if he'll do." Left winger Vic Stasiuk added: "He'll be terrific if he's as tough against other teams as he was against us. He wouldn't let anybody score again today."

Simmons' real test will come tomorrow afternoon when the Bruins fact the New York Rangers in a nationally-televised game. This will be the fourth NHL hockey game to be televised in in experimental program begun this year.

Simmons, upon hearing of his opportunity to tend goal for the Bruins stated: "I've been looking forward to chance in this league for a long time, but I was wonedring if I'd ever get i." Simmons has been playing for the Springfield club for five years.

Following the Bruins' practice today, the Rangers will also use the local rink for a short practice.