Writers Begin Guessing On Next Mentor

Coaches From Area Dominate Proposals

By Richard T. Cooper

Lloyd Jordan's dismissal has not yet been finally approved, but already more than a dozen possible successors have been nominated by the local press. Although the Committee's recommendation has attracted considerable attention outside this area, candidates for Jordan's position are almost entirely local figures.

Some serious scouting outside the neighborhood, however, will almost certainly take place at the Football Coaches Convention in St. Louis next week. Hal Lahar, who has coached Colgate to success the past five years, may be approached in St. Louis.

Chief Boston

Mentioned with varying degrees of enthusiasm, Chief Boston of the University of New Hampshire is perhaps best equipped to cope with a coaching job unanimously described as a psychological problem. Clarence Boston was one of the better blocking backs in Crimson football history. He is also one of the few Crimson alumni currently coaching intercollegiate football. Boston is also relatively young, a rumored requirement for the replacement.

Boston has sent UNH teams to 40 victories while absorbing 20 defeats and accepting four ties. Along the way he has acquired several Yankee Conference Championships. But only Princeton, in the Ivy League, has an alumnus football coach.

Margarita Named

Even closer to home--though "home" is now a doubtful name for the Soldiers' Field subdivision--is current freshman coach Bob Margarita. At 36, the former Brown and Chicago Bear halfback star meets the age requirement; he is also popular with his players. Margarita was head coach at Georgetown before that school dropped football and has coached at Yale. But his five years on the Jordan staff may argue against his selection. In the past, coaches have come from the outside.

Another local figure with a relevant success-story is Harry Arlanson of Tufts. Arlanson feathered his third season in the neighborhood by herding the Jumbos over the Crimson, 19 to 12 last fall. Reportedly well satisfied, Arlanson said last night he would listen if approached.