Student Discovers Ancient Civilization

A 29-year-old graduate student has discovered evidence of a 1,500 year old civilization in the densely forested Montana region of Peru. Donald W. Lathrap 3G, a student working in the Department of Anthropology, led the expedition last summer for the American Museum of Natural History.

It had been thought before Lathrap's discovery that the Montana Indians were a link to the highly civilized Inca cultures discovered during the Spanish Conquest. Lathrop's evidence, however, indicates that the area was culturally related to the regions in the Amazon and on the shores of the Caribbean.

Pottery made "in the last few hundred years" also found on the site, indicating that the Montana Indians may have acquired their present elaborate pottery style only recently.

Four-Month Trip

The expedition, part of the first systematic archaeological excavation in the area, was begun in the spring and lasted four months. Lathrap was aided by 11 workers, all Indians, and a half-Spanish cook, who acted as translator.

The young archeologist described the area as "semi-wild." He added, "The insects were the worst bother. Although the Montana is reputedly crawling with poisonous snakes, I saw only one."

Lathrap lived in an Indian village 12 miles from the excavation site and was present at several native tribal festivals. He called them "drunken brawls."

"The Indians peel and boil a starchy tapioca-type root. Their women then chew the root and spit it out to be fermented for about five days. It's pretty intoxicating when you keep at it for 12 or 14 hours as they do at the festivals.