Zhukov Removal Interpreted as Downfall Rather Than Promotion; Republicans Gain in Turk Voting

By The ASSOCIATED Press

MOSCOW, Oct. 27--The stark announcement of the removal of Marshal Georgi K. Zhukov as Soviet defense chief appeared to Westerners here today to reflect more than anything else the supreme confidence of Nikita Khrushchev that he is boss.

Diplomatic sources used such terms as audacious, surprising and bold to describe the unexpected step which put another professional soldier, Marshal Rodion Y. Malinovsky, into the high post of defense minister.

In Washington, Eisenhower administration leaders eagerly sought all possible facts on the Zhukov shakeup, aware that the sensational mystery may be profoundly significant in evaluating Soviet power and foreign policy.

Available information was interpreted as indicating that Marshal Zhukov has probably been downgraded instead of being headed toward a new promotion.

Turkish Republicans Gain Ground

ISTANBUL, Oct. 27--Republicans gained ground on Premier Adnan Menderes's ruling Democratic party in Turkey's crisis-time parliamentary election today. How much they gained was in dispute as the returns were counted tonight.

Republican party headquarters in Ankara claimed a lead in nine provinces, including populous Ankara, Istanbul and Adana. But Menderes and his Democrats said the Premier's party was well in front.

Hynek Sends Data to USSR

CAMBRIDGE, Oct. 27--Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory officials said last night that results of their computations of the orbit of Sputnik's rocket were to be transmitted to Russia immediately.

Dr. J. Allen Hynek, head of the nation's satellite optical tracking program, said the data would be telegraphed to the Russian Academy of Science in Moscow.