Harvard, Cornell Soccer Contest Ends in 0-0 Tie

By Jerome A. Chadwick

More than one Crimson team played surprisingly well Saturday afternoon. But the soccer squad, unlike the football team, hung on to the end and held the powerful Cornell outfit to a scoreless tie through two overtime periods.

Coach Bruce Munro's team was held together with adhesive tape, and by all odds should have been crushed under the Big Red's purposeful attempt to take this year's Ivy soccer title.

Most of the Crimson regulars managed to start in spite of asorted sprains, Bruises, and charley horses. With very little substitution possible, owing to a dearth of reserves, most of them finished the game dead-tired.

Only center half Tony Oberschall was forced to leave the game permanently, when his sprained ankle was pinned to the ground beneath a Cornell boot. Junior Roger Tuckerman filled in with some degree of competence, and dribbled through most of the Cornell team at one point in the game.

Sophomore John Hedreen made his first appearance for the varsity at center forward, and thus freed Captain Jim Shue to play at his customary inside right post. Hedreen played with confidence, and seemed to work well with the line. He is expected to strengthen the scoring potential of the Crimson line, since he was high scorer for the freshmen last year.

The Crimson forced the attack most of the first half, and the result was the finest soccer played on the Business School field in years.

Fullback Lanny Keyes again played a strong game, and almost singlehandedly kept Crimson goalie Jim Perkins out of trouble. Right fullback Floyd Molloy also played well, and moved with the play much better than in the Tufts game.