MTA Sale of Land to University Depends Upon Engineering Study

Talks Still in 'Exploratory Stage'

University plans to acquire the MTA car barns opposite Kirkland House hinge on an engineer's study of the area, Anthony D. Pompeo, chairman of the MTA's Board of Trustees, revealed yesterday.

The study is to be undertaken by a group of MTA and Harvard engineers for the "relocation of equipment," Pompeo reported. Renovation of the barns, disposal of outdated and defective equipment and the conversion of many trolley routes to trackless trolleys and buses should make some of the property available to the University.

Pompeo said that he has not met with Harvard officials since the middle of October, and that "talks are still in the exploratory stage." Negotiations will get down to specific details "when we know what land we will have available," he added. The land may become the site of the ninth House, which is one of the projects listed by the Program for Harvard College.

There are no immediate plans to resume talks for the property. Pompeo stated that he has not received an offer from the University to provide another location for the carbarn. He said that Harvard is the only concern interested in acquiring the land.

Edward Dana, MTA general manager, viewed the talks dimly, stating that the groups "have not come to any finite meeting point." Action has been tabled for the time being, he added.