Improved Sextet To Play Larries In Boston Arena

By James W. B. benkard

The varsity hockey team will play one of its toughest and most important games of the year tonight when it faces off against a strong St. Lawrence sextet at 9 p.m. in the Boston Arena.

Ever since its season-opening loss to B.U., the Crimson has shown a visible improvement in both of its subsequent victories against B.C. and Clarkson. To beat the Larries tonight, the Crimson must keep up the high standard of play in such vital departments as speed and backchecking that it has demonstrated in its last two starts.

In its last two games played at the Boston Arena, St. Lawrence has broken even against the two Boston sextets, beating B.U. 5 to 4, and losing to B.C., 1 to 0. The loss to B.C., a team that is definitely below the Terriers' (and the Larries') calibre can be partly explained by the fact that B.C. goalie Al Pitts played the best game of his life that night.

Possess Strong First Line

The Larries' first line of Bob Dalber, Maurice Riopelle, and Tom Lawler is a fast and powerful one which should keep pressure on the varsity defense. Rick Presley and Dave Benner will start at defense for the Larries' while Tom Goir will start in the goal.

The varsity's lineup will be the same one that defeated Clarkson on Tuesday night. Captain Bob Cleary, Lyle Guttu, and Paul Kelley will make up the first line while Ed Owen and Bob Copeland will alternate with Dick McLaughlin and Dan Ullyot at defense. Tab Cleary, who has shown steady improvement in both his play and his confidence, will again start in the goal.