The Way to Strength

The heads of the governments of France, West Germany, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg have acted to keep Western Europe from becoming an anachronism. Their agreement upon two treaties, creating a European Common Market and a European Atomic Energy Community (Euratom), is an important step toward the unity Europe needs to maintain a significant role in world power politics. A compartmentalized Western Europe has been losing economic and political stature beside Russia and the United States.

The countries of "Little Europe" seek economic integration to solve their basic post-war problem--insufficient industrial productivity. The Euratom program, pooling atomic knowledge and materials, is a wise investment in a source of power which can eventually supply all industrial expansion. Atomic power will free Europe from the limitations of her shrinking coal reserves and from her all-too-costly dependence on Middle East oil.

Europe's productive capacity has also been limited by national boundaries. Big tariffs in the small countries have discouraged the growth of large, efficient industries, since most would not find a supranational market. The Common Market will do away with economic compartmentalization by gradually removing internal barriers. The movement of capital for investment will be made easier, and a common external trade policy should enhance the community's position.

Incorporation of overseas possessions means that other countries will have to share some of France's colonial headaches. But all six nations will be able to enjoy new resources and markets, and the five hundred million dollar investment may keep underdeveloped areas satisfied within this community.

The unavoidable economic interdependence of the member nations should contribute to independence of the group as a whole. Industrial specialization will be possible, and large manufactories should supply the whole better than previous smaller industries supplied each nation. The United States ought to welcome this economic strength, because dependency on America has been galling for Europe and expensive for us.

Economic unity is only the beginning of political unity. Common political attitudes will arise from identical financial interests, and although independent political action may be the first sign of Europe's strength, the United States should prefer a self-sufficient ally to a band of weak subsidiaries.