Arabs Riot in Demand for Return Of Administration in Gaza Strip; Tidal Waves Hit Hawaii, Japan

GAZA, March 10--U.N. troops used tear gas and fired in the air today to break up a demonstration by thousands of Arabs demanding return of Egyptian administration to the Gaza Strip. U.N. headquarters announced several demonstration leaders were arrested after the U.N. soldiers were stoned as they drove the crowd down Gaza's main street.

Yugoslav U.N. troops, who had been withdrawn from the Gaza Strip earlier, were called back to help deal with the demonstration, said Maj. Gen. E. L. M. Burns, U.N. force commander. Belgrade radio announced earlier that Yugoslav units had left the strip. It gave no reason, but the Yugoslav government had hinted its troops would be pulled out of the strip if Egypt objected to U.N. control of the territory.

Earthquakes Cause Flooding

Quake-born tidal waves, raised by shock forces shot up from the ocean floor at close to the speed of sound, flooded Japanese fishing villages yesterday, several hours after the seismic surge wrecked two villages in Hawaii. Twenty-six beach homes were destroyed on Kauai Island by the waves, caused by two massive under the-ocean earthquakes near the Aleutians.

Navy Seeks Six Nuclear Subs Per Year

WASHINGTON, March 10--The Navy is heading its nuclear submarine program toward a broad-scale production basis, aiming at an eventual rate of a half-dozen launchings per year. Figures made available by the Navy today show that at least three atomic-powered submersibles are scheduled for completion next year.

Recommended Articles

Don't Abandon Sierra Leone
In Sierra Leone, the situation is getting worse. A country torn and ravaged by a nine-year civil war, Sierra Leone
Death Toll in Gaza Strip Hits 32 in Five Weeks
GAZA CITY, Occupied Gaza Strip--Israeli soldiers fired on knife-wielding. Palestinians in the Gaza Strip town of Rafah yesterday, killing one
The High Cost of Getting Out
W hen the going gets tough, pundits and politicians seem to head for the hills. As unrest and strife continue
Magsaysay, Philippine President, Dies in Crash of Private Plane; Israel Blames U.N. for Gaza Crisis
MANILA, Monday, March 18--President Ramon Magsaysay's charred, burned body was found today by rescuers in the wreckage of his plane
Mid-East Cools Off
Two subjects dominated the American press this week, and the developments in one may not have been unrelated to the
Speed Up the Peace Process
A fter the Hebron massacre of February 25, Palestinians were enraged. Israel's cabinet moved to outlaw the Jewish ultra-right Kach