Brown Defeats Wrestlers; Only Skeels, Foster Win

By William C. Sigal

PROVIDENCE, March 1--Only Dave Skeels at 123 and Bob Foster could salvage points for the varsity wrestling team tonight, as Brown's powerful wrestlers handed the Crimson its third league defeat and worst setback of the season, 20 to 6.

The biggest surprise of the meet came in the 177-pound class, where Brown's John Alexander sewed up an otherwise close match by gaining a 6 to 4 decision over Crimson Captain Bob Gilmor. In the third period, with Gilmor up, Alexander escaped, then took Gilmor down. Gilmor's subsequent escape only made the score closer.

Until that time, the varsity could have tied up the match, for Foster continued his unbeaten string by decisioning Lou Winner, 7 to 4.

At heavyweight, with the meet already decided, Brown's Gene Roberts pinned Al Culbert in 5 minutes, 15 seconds with a half-nelson and body press.

Skeels started the evening off well for the varsity as he clearly outclassed Brown's Steve Howe, 5 to 0. The highly partisan howling crowd gave Howe an ovation for having escaped being pinned.

Outside of Gilmor's match, Brown won strongly as George Seaver scored a 4 to 0 win over Paul Striker at 130, John Cummings shut out Phil Andrews at 137, 5 to 0, co-captain Frank Smith at 147 decisioned Joe Noble, 4 to 0, and the other Bruin co-captain Pete Roche completed the shutout cycle, decisioning King Holmes, 5 to 0.

Earlier, the freshman wrestlers completely outclassed the hapless Brown freshmen, winning their fourth of the year, 27 to 5.