House Begins Drive to Restore Slashes in Ike's Defense Budget; Fignole Restores Order in Haiti

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, May 27-A bipartisan drive to restore 300 million dollars or more to President Eisenhower's sharply pruned defense budget got under way in the House today.

The House Appropriations Committee has cut 2 1/2 million dollars out of the President's requests for the Army, Navy and Air Force in the next fiscal year. Eisenhower has asked for restoration of almost half this amount.

Meeting just before the House convened today, the 30-member Republican Policy Committee there agreed almost unanimously to try to put about 300 million back in the bill.

A group of Democrats quickly lent their support to the move, leading some members to predict that as much as million might be restored when voting on amendments starts tomorrow.

Chairman Vinson D-Ga. of the Armed Services Committee and other Democrats said they thought the appropriations group had cut too deeply.

"The bill has been too drastically cut in many instances," Rep. Martin of Massachusetts, the House GOP leader, told newsmen.

Haiti Begins Recovery

PORT AU PRINCE, Haiti, May 27--Haiti pulled back from the brink of anarchy today and went back to work under peasant-labor leader Daniel Fignole. He is the third provisional president in the five months since the Magloire regime.

Store owners patched up bullet holes, erased the scars of fire and reopened their shops after a week-long general strike.

The National Bank of Haiti, closed during the crisis, reopened and put tens of thousands of dollars into circulation in this bullet-scarred, economically strangled capital.

Unofficial sources estimated nearly 100 dead or wounded from the bitter weekend strife between partisans of feuding candidates in the presidential elections scheduled for June 14.

Stassen Speaks on Disarmament

LONDON, May 27--Harold E. Stassen told the U.N. subcommittee today the United States is ready to meet Russia halfway on terms for a partial arms reduction agreement.

The United States recognizes there are many difficult points to be thrashed out involving just where the halfway point lies, President Eisenhower's personal disarmament adviser said.

But Stassen declared America is seeking "in a serious vein" to find a sound program acceptable to all nations. He drew a reply from the Soviet representative, who said his county welcomed the manner of the U.S. approach to the disarmament problem.