Goody Made New Director Of Blue Hill

Brooks Will Retire From Observatory

Richard M. Goody, meteorological physicist, will succeed Charles F. Brooks '12, retiring professor of Meteorology, as director of the Blue Hill Meteorological Observatory next year.

Goody, who is now an instructor at the Imperial College of Science and Technology of the University of London, is an internationally recognized authority on the physics of the stratosphere.

He will become director of the Observatory when Brooks retires on July 1, 1958. Goody will direct the observatory's research on climate changes and will continue his study of the relation of the sun's condition to atmospheric changes which affect weather conditions.

Goody has conducted research on temperatures in the stratosphere, thermal equilibrium, and the spreading of heat in the atmosphere. He has also made studies of the atmosphere of Venus and the sun.

Studying Use of Radar

In addition to its study of climate changes, the Observatory is now conducting research on weather forecasting methods and the use of radar in meteorology for the U.S. Weather Bureau and the Air Force Cambridge Research Center.

Goody visited the University in March to lecture on the atmosphere of Mars and on currents in the earth's upper atmosphere. He will continue Brooks' graduate course on "Research in Meteorology and Climatology."

Goody, who was educated at Cambridge University, did scientific intelligence work for the British government during World War II.