Donation to Subsidize Hungarian at College

Student Will Reside At Kirkland House

An anonymous donor has enabled another Hungarian student refugee to live in Kirkland House next year, Master Charles H. Taylor, Henry Charles Lea Professor of Medieval History announced yesterday.

The grant will cover tuition and the other major expenses of the Hungarian for the three years here. He may be selected "in a week or ten days," Carl Kaysen, associate professor of Economics, and chairman of the House interviewing committee, said yesterday. The grant was made after the donor had heard that the House raised, of its own accord, $1700 to support Gyorgy Heimler, a student refuges from Budapest.

After some negotiation with the U.S. Trust Company of New York, representing the benefactor, the donor agreed to extend the grant so that Heimler's major expenses will also be covered during his three years at the University. The gift was donated "on the condition that the Hungarian be chosen by a Kirkland House committee and reside in Kirkland House," Taylor said.

Freshman Refugee

Serving with Kaysen on the faculty committee are Louis Lefeber, instructor in Economics, and Zbigniew K. Brzezinski, assistant professor of Government, all tutors in the House. The Committee will also try to find a refugee to enter next year's freshman class on the money collected from the Class of '60 by the Harvard Freedom Council.

The committee will begin interviews this week, HFC president John F. Maher '60 said, and will talk with the best of the 10 or 12 students suggested by the World University Service.