MacLeish Wins Faculty Contest As Most Voluminous in Widener

Catalogue Reveals

Archibald MacLeish, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, currently has more cards under his name in the Widener catalog than any other faculty member, according to a CRIMSON survey. Since the time of the last count, in March, 1955, MacLeish has forged ahead from fourth place to take the title.

With 82 cards to his credit, MacLeish easily outdistances his nearest rivals. In second place is Howard Mumford Jones, professor of English, who currently burdens the catalog with some 62 titles. Jones was in third place, one ahead of Mac Leish, in 1955.

Other verbose professors are: Carl J. Friedrich, Eaton Professor of the Science of Government, with 54 listings, and Seymour E. Harris '20, professor of Economics, with 36 cards. Werner W. Jaeger, University Professor, Perry G. E. Miller, professor of American Literature, and summer H. Slichter, Lamont University Professor followed in that order.

The "Particularly Voluminous"

A Widener librarian agreed that these were the authors that he considered "Particularly voluminous," But added the numbers were not indicative of too much since many cards could represent minor items while one card a major work.

In 1955, Samuel Eliot Morison '08, then an active member of the faculty, but now Trumbull Professor of American History, Emeritus, led the faculty with 70 different books and pamphlets listed. He was followed by Friedrich, with 41 listings, Harris, with 31 titles, and Jones, MacLeish, and Slichter in that order.

Jaeger and Miller thus are the new-comers to the top six, while Slichter has slipped down to seventh place.