Graduate to Sail into Pacific Bomb Test Area In Pacifist Challenge to Nuclear Arm Drive

The Atomic Energy Commission can expect trouble if it attempts to carry out its announced April series of nuclear weapons tests. Albert Bigelow '29 and three other American pacifists plan to sail into the Eniwetok Island bomb test area early in April and remain there, come what may.

Bigelow, a member of the National Committee of Non-Violent Action Against Nuclear Weapons, plans to set out for Eniwetok on Feb. 9 in his 30-foot ketch, the "Golden Rule." He left New York for Los Angeles last night to outfit the vessel. The former commander of three Navy combat ships hopes his action will arouse the conscience of the American people to the peril of nuclear bomb testing.

The Non-Violent Action Committee has announced its intention to halt nuclear tests in a letter to President Eisenhower and United Nations officials. Lawrence Scott, leader of the Nevada protest, said the committee is working on plans to send a delegation to the Soviet Union. "We desire to bring to the Russian people the same moral demand to stop preparation for nuclear war," he said.

The "sitting duck" attempt is the second challenge to the A.E.C. sponsored by the Non-Violent Action Committee, an organization of American pacifist leaders.