Vacuum

A long time ago, Dwight Eisenhower advocated the unification of this nation's armed services. A few weeks ago, the President appeared before the Congress and said that he would end inter-service rivalry and bolster the nation's military efficiency. With the passing of time, words, and appointments, it would seem that the President is unwilling or unable to take the lead in overhauling the defense system. He is, moreover, unwilling to make public the reports which show why this overhaul is so imperative.

Under these circumstances his refusal to release the Gaither Report to the Senate Preparedness Subcommittee can only be construed as an act of political cowardice and personal weakness. The Gaither Report contains material for a severe indictment of the Administration's complacency. It would be unfortunate if the President would risk national security because he is unwilling to shatter the image of Dwight D. Eisenhower as the beloved and unerring military hero. The withholding of the Gaither Report deprives the nation of its right to know and the Congress of the facts upon which to base action. The Report also contains recommendations which are certainly needed. In the name of the sanctity of the executive branch, the President has committed a political mistake and demonstrated faulty leadership.

The President's repeated statements of good intentions and solid faith do not solve the crying need for action. The President's power is weakening--in his last term, he faces a Democratic Congress and a disillusioned nation--and he does not seem adequate to the pressing need for major decisions. If executive leadership is not forthcoming, and there is little precedent for it, the task of unifying the defense command, providing for a more adequate warning system and shelter system, and hastening the missile and satellite programs moves by default to Congress. Unfortunately, Congress has shown no real leadership in the past that might raise hopes for the future. The minority leader has been worrying about California, and the majority leader, while he has assumed more responsibility of late, has not and, by tradition, cannot accomplish enough.

If the President does not provide the needed leadership and, at the same time, refuses to aid the Senate when it tries to pick up the nation's defense problems, then this nation's military problems will grow worse if not disastrous.