Studies Group Seeks $3 Billion Annual Defense Funds Increase; Dulles-Stassen Conflict Expected

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, Jan. 5--The Rockefeller studies group said tonight the United States must boost defense spending by about three billion dollars each year for the next several years if it wants to halt a "rapidly" deteriorating position in the military race with Russia.

It made other far-reaching recommendations, including one for a drastic revamping of all operational military forces into unified commands to carry out strategic missions. The individual armed forces thereafter would be responsible only for recruiting, training and supply.

Dulles-Stassen Showdown Foreseen

WASHINGTON, Jan. 5--A showdown is expected in the National Security Council this week between Secretary of State Dulles and Harold E. Stassen on future U.S. disarmament policy. It may come tomorrow.

Stassen, President Eisenhower's chief disarmament adviser and negotiator, has proposed "liberalizing" the policy. His chief recommendation was reported to be that the United States drop its insistence on halting atomic bomb production as part of a two-year ban on nuclear testing.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Macmillan's proposal for a solemn pact of nonaggression with Russia startled Europe today and won some quiet approval, notably in West Germany and Italy. There was a general impression that approving reaction in Europe and among some NATO leaders would counteract unfavorable impressions quickly voiced in the United States.

Jackson Asks More Atom Subs

WASHINGTON, Jan. 5--Sen. Jackson (D-Wash.) said today "the American people would be dismayed and bewildered" if they knew how few missile-equipped, nuclear-powered submarines the Defense Department's present plans call for.

"I am confident that the Soviet goal is to produce hundreds of these undersea satellites," he said in a statement urging that this country build "at least 100 missile-launching submarines at the earliest possible date."

Democrats Hit Spending Cut

WASHINGTON, Jan. 5--Democratic resistance increased today to expected proposals by President Eisenhower to match an increase in defense spending with a cut in domestic programs.

Sen. Mansfield of Montana, the assistant Democratic leader, said he hopes Eisenhower does not propose in his budget message a reduction in outlays for projects which "represent an investment in America."

Senate to Investigate Gavin

WASHINGTON, Jan. 5--Sen. Lyndon B. Johnson, (D-Tex.) said today Senate investigators will inquire into the possibility that "administration rubber hose tactics" figured in Lt. Gen. James M. Gavin's move to retire from the Army.

Johnson, who heads the Senate Preparedness subcommittee, said Gavin will be questioned about his decision to quit as chief of the Army research and development division working on missiles and earth satellites.

Science Meeting Announced

WASHINGTON, Jan. 5--A national conference to find some answers to the threat posed by Russian scientific progress was announced today.

President Eisenhower's Committee on Scientists and Engineers said 100 prominent Americans will meet Feb. 3-4 at Yale University to examine this country's competitive position in world science and technology