Sextet Overwhelms Jumbos, 16-1; Cleary, O'Malley Net Four Each

Crimson Fans 'Amused'

By James W.B. Benkard

In one of the most ridiculous hockey games ever seen on Watson Rink, the varsity hockey team destroyed a hapless Tufts sextet last night, 16 to 1. Captain Bob Cleary led the attack for the Crimson, registering an astonishing ten points.

The game was actually somewhat of a farce because the varsity was such a better team in every respect. Toward the end of the final period, when the outmanned Jumbo squad began to tire, the Crimson simply formed its plays around the opposition's blue line without any interference. The Tufts team would then congregate in front of its goalie, Dave Wilson, and do its best to beat off the attack.

Thirteen varsity players entered the scoring column, with the first line of Cleary, Lyle Guttu, and Terry O'Malley accounting for nine of the 16 tallies. Four goals each were scored by O'Malley and Cleary, while Mike Graney and Bob Owen both had two; Guttu, Bud Higgenbottom, Paul Kelley, and Bill Collins netted one apiece. Vince Lang scored the lone Tufts tally.

Name Calling Exhibition

By the middle of the second period, the game had deteriorated into a name calling exhibition, with the highly amused Harvard fans on one side against a solitary Tufts rooter on the other. When a loose puck flipped off Bob McVey's stick and hit a Tufts player in the face, the Jumbo fan had to be restrained from going out on the ice after the Crimson players.

The most sensational play of the evening came in the third period. Owen took the puck and for a full minute skated through the whole Tufts team, freezing the play. When three Jumbo players finally came after him, Owen broke away and scored unassisted for the varsity's 11th tally.

While a good time was certainly had by all Crimson players and fans, this sort of game serves no useful purpose. This Saturday, the varsity has to meet a good Princeton team which it must beat if it is to have any kind of a successful team. Tonight's game could hardly be called a good tuneup for this important contest.