Council Reports Student Reaction To Dining Halls

Sixty per cent of the upperclassmen polled last spring favor a reduction in the number of meals they are required to take weekly, according to a report presented to the Student Council at its meeting Monday.

D. Dwight Dogherty '59, Chairman of the Dining Hall Committee, reported that 1,361 polls had been collected from students in the seven Houses. Sixty per cent voted in favor of 18 meals a week, while 18 per cent preferred taking only 14 meals a week, and 14 per cent favored no change in the present policy.

The Committee's report also included student criticism of the quality of the food in the Houses. Given the choice between better quality food but available in restricted amounts, or the present quality of food available in unlimited amounts, a majority, Dogherty said, favored better quality food.

Only Adams and Dunster Houses, the study stated, preferred to maintain the same quality of food. "Dunster House," Dogherty noted, "seemed most happy about their meals."

Final findings of the committee, according to Dogherty, will be presented to Dean Watson and Edwin Reynolds '15 for possible changes in the board system.