Adviser Pool to Help Plan Studies Of Advanced Standing Sophomores

Record Number Admitted

Spurred by the record number of new students gaining Sophomore standing, University authorities are planning to create a special pool of advisers to help new Sophomores solve their problems.

According to Edward T. Wilcox, Director of Advanced Standing, the group will combine the functions of Freshman advisers and departmental tutors, and may be drawn from interested men serving both functions. No decision has been made as to whether the pool, which will begin operating next year, will be formally organized as a separate board.

Wilcox noted that 67 new students gained Sophomore standing this year, and close to one in every three new students was accorded Advanced Placement in one or more fields. Both figures represent record highs.

The group of new Sophomores include 14 foreign students and 53 graduates of American secondary schools. In addition, under a similar program, 11 students entered the Freshman class this year "without diploma," direct from the junior year of high school.

Program Expands Rapidly

The number of Freshman admitted as Sophomores has expanded rapidly since the Program of Advanced Standing was implemented four years ago. The figure of 53 U.S. students this year compares with 31 last year, 13 in 1956, and but two in 1955.

Private schools hold a pronounced lead in placing their students as Sophomores. Of the 53 U.S. students, 42 came from prep schools. However, the number of schools producing Advanced Standing students was equal, 10 public and 10 private.

Forty-two of the 67 new Sophomores decided to live in the Freshman dorms rather than go directly to one of the Houses. However, in February they will again have a chance to move to one of the Houses.