Star Vaulter Will Advise Track Squad

Cornelius Warmerdam, the first man to pole vault 15 feet, will come here for two days in late October to coach pole vaulters and high jumpers.

A grant from the Friends of Harvard Track will make Warmerdam's trip possible. The group is involved in a campaign to stir up interest in Harvard track and has already given a motion picture projector and film this year.

It is possible that other track figures will come to coach here this year, according to Coach William McCurdy. He said that if another man came he would be selected from noted track men who are available and have coaching ability.

After the Friends of Harvard Track decided that it would help the team's morale if an important track figure coached them, McCurdy wrote Warmendam asking him to come.

"A Shot in the Arm"

Warmerdam, who has been coaching at Fresno State College, will advise pole vaulters and high jumpers in practice and through personal talks. He is scheduled to arrive here Oct. 23 and will stay through the next day.

"Warmerdam's coaching will be a shot in the arm for the guys on the team," commented track captain Al Gordon. "They worship him for his ability."

Gordon added that Warmerdam's help should make prospects for pole vaulters fairly bright. Two athlete's prominent in their fall sports, Sam Halaby and Tom Blodgett, are expected to go out for the event. Halaby vaulted 12ft. 6in. last season, "and will go much higher this year," according to Gordon.