Corporation Approves Five Quincy Senior Associates

Construction Progressing Satisfactorily

By Stephen S. Graham

Five Faculty members have been named Associates of Quincy House, Master John M. Bullitt '41 announced yesterday. The appointments were officially approved by the Corporation at a meeting this fall.

The five, Herbert Dieckmann, Smith Professor of the French and Spanish Languages, Henry S. Hughes, professor of History, Arthur van Meherer, professor of Law, David Riesman '31, Ford Professor, and Samuel E. Thorne, professor of Legal History, will join the Senior Common Room when construction of the House is completed in 1959.

Bullitt said that two other men, producer-director Stephen A. Aaron '57 and poet Robert Lowell have been unofficially selected as Honorary Associates of the Common Room, positions which do not require a Corporation vote.

Construction Progressing

Other aspects of the new House have been progressing satisfactorily, Bullitt reported. "Technically, in some areas we are behind, but we are encouraged to think that the House will open as planned in 1959."

When the structure on DeWolfe St. is finished next fall, only 227 students will be allowed to enter the House. At that time, construction of the Leverett House towers will still be in progress, and Mather Hall will not be available.

Of the 227 students, about 150 are to be chosen from the Class of 1962. It has not yet been decided how the remaining members will be chosen from the upperclasses.