Menshikov Visit Creates Dispute

Some "misunderstanding" between students and the Administration has arisen over the visit of Mihail A. Menshikov, the Ambassador of the Soviet Union, to the University tomorrow.

John S. Samuels 2L, who is arranging Menshikov's visit for the Law School Forum, stated that the "differences" between the Forum and the Administration centered around "whether or not there should be an official greeting offered by the University."

Originally, Samuels said, no official greeting was planned, because "there usually isn't one." However, he added that because of Menshikov's unexpected early arrival yesterday, some officials of the University feared that "it might be considered an insult if the appropriate greeting" was not extended.

Martin L. Silverman '60, president of the United Nations Council, co-sponsor with the Forum of the Ambassador's visit, stated last night that "we were under the impression that no official reception would be given."

Samuels stated that the University would extend its "official greetings" to Menshikov, and that he would meet briefly with President Pusey sometime tomorrow, although the President's Office could make no confirmation of this.