Quemoy Supply Line Endangered As Communists Add Jet Attacks; Faubus Continues to Defy Court

By The ASSOCIATED Press

TAIPEI--A sudden attack by four Communist MIG 17s on Chinese Nationalist supply planes off Quemoy heightened the danger today of the offshore island war entering a new and more deadly phase.

One Nationalist C46 cargo plane was heavily damaged by the swooping Red jets yesterday afternoon, but managed to land on Quemoy, the Defense Ministry said. Two crewmen were wounded.

The MIG attack dampened optimism about the growing air and sea supply line to Quemoy. Success in resupplying the artillery-blockaded island and the promise of bigger supply efforts had prompted American officials to predict yesterday that Quemoy could hold out at the present level of supply runs.

But these predictions were based on the Reds using only artillery fire against the supply line and withholding their air force.

MIG attacks against supply planes and ships could bring renewed Nationalist demands for American approval to bomb newly activated Communist jet bases on the mainland.

Faubus Defiant

LITTLE ROCK--Gov. Orval E. Faubus of Arkansas hurled new defiance at the U.S. Supreme Court yesterday, declaring he would never open public schools for racially mixed classes.

A private corporation proceeded with plans to set up segregated schools for white high school pupils idled by Faubus' order closing four schools. But a plan for private instruction of 10,000 high school students in Norfolk, Va., fell through because the planning group failed to obtain services of a single public school teacher.

Ike to Campaign

WASHINGTON--President Eisenhower is planning to take a very active and very aggressive part in the political campaign now warming up.

Eisenhower already has scheduled one Western speaking tour and the White House has said other campaign activities are being worked out.