City Council Resolves to Simplify Local All-Night Parking Regulations

The City Council yesterday unanimously adopted an order directing the City Manager "to confer with the Chief of Police for the purpose of clarifying the rules and regulations relative to all-night parking." The vote followed a speech before the Council by Norman E. Holly 3G.

Holly spoke at the invitation of Councilor Mrs. Cornelia B. Wheeler, who also introduced the order. Mrs. Wheeler commented that the complexities of the parking ordinance made overnight parking "seem rather like a chess game."

Asserting that "communication" of the parking rules was a difficult matter, Mrs. Wheeler proposed that printed pamphlets be mailed out with parking tickets and that stickers bearing the new rules be attached to present parking signs.

In his speech to the Council, Holly stated that "anyone who attempts to obey the posted ordinance unknowingly violates it half the time," during months when the alternate side provision contradicts the posted rules.

Holly recommended professional study of the parking situation, stating that he did not think "there is any simple solution at present."

Councilor Edward A. Crane '35 termed the alternate-side provision "a strictly homemade affair" and asserted that it was made" by courtesy of the Police Department." Paul I. Mann of 24 Concord Ave. discussed the problem of informing motorists about the regulations.