House Football Teams Begin Play Thursday; Dunster Defends Title

Hopes are high in all the Houses as their respective teams prepare for the opening of the intramural tackle football season this Thursday. The championship and the honor or representing the college at the little big game with Yale lie in the balance.

Perhaps the most optimistic is Dunster House, which won the trophy last year by virtue of its 7-0-0 record. Most of last year's team will be playing this year.

An unsettled backfield plagues Lowell House now, but, with Coach Dusty Burke '52 at the helm, the Bellboys hope to field a strong team on Thursday. Their experienced line features Ron Coralian at guard. Back Dick Kazuma and Joe Herlihy lead the team as co-captains.

Eliot has a large, but inexperienced squad. Guards Ray Wang and Joe Lankey, and back Al Steiner will probably be standouts on a team coached by Chauncey Walker.

One of the few teams not using the split-T formation is Leverett, coached by Glen Nichols '59, which will play from the single wing. Good prospects are Tony Lake at tailback and Gus Alexander at end.

A solid, well-conditioned team will be fielded by coach Jimmie Bell '60 for Dudley House. Looking good in practice are Pete Franci, fullback, and Dave MacPhelim, quarterback.

Kirkland House places its hopes in the backfield, where the many returnees are augmented by fine sophomore prospects. Quarterback Pete Frederick, left halfback Gus Winston, fullback Mike Bianco, and end Marlin Levin head the list of those returning to aid Stuart Rappaport, Kirkland's coach.

Adams and Winthrop House share the optimism shown by the other clubs. Adams faces Dunster Thursday, and Winthrop plays Dudley Friday.