Leverett House to Hold Art, Literary Contests

Adams House to Sponsor Monthly Forum

By Richard E. Ashcraft

Leverett House and Adams House revealed yesterday how they would use portions of the Ford Foundation grants allocated to them.

Leverett House will use funds provided by the Foundation to sponsor a literary and fine arts competition, and several departmental dinners for members of the House, according to Master John J. Conway.

The competition, Conway said, will begin "very shortly," although the final judging will not be done until sometime next spring. Two separate awards, he explained, will be made; one for the best work in painting, sculpting, or photography by House members, and the other award for the best piece of creative writing produced by a Leverett student.

The same two projects, Conway noted, were sponsored last year by Leverett House with money from the Ford grant. Conway said he was pleased with the results of last year's competition and dinners. "One of the submissions in the creative writing competition last year," he observed, "was part of a novel which has been submitted for publication."

It was decided, he said, that just to spend the Ford money to bring prominent men to visit the House would not be so beneficial to House members as a project designed "to encourage creative writing and work in the fine arts." "In addition to giving things to members of the House," Conway said, "it is important to try to have them do things."

However, he added that some speakers are being sought for visits to the House, but commented that plans for such arrangements "are not certain."

Adams to Sponsor Forum

Adams House plans to sponsor a monthly political forum devoted to international affairs, the House Committee revealed yesterday.

The first forum, a discussion entitled "France and Algeria," will take place at 8 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 21, in the lower common room of Adams House, and will be open to the public. The speaker will be M. Bruno de Leusee, assistant to the Secretary General of the French Ministry on Foreign Affairs.

One of the future speakers to address the Forum will come under the terms of the Ford Foundation grant to Adams House. The others will be sponsored directly by the House Committee.

Dean expects that the House Committee will invited distinguished men from a wide variety of political fields to address the Forum, with the bulk of the speakers discussing international affairs.