Leader of 'Coup' Quits CSD Post

Dennis L. White '60 resigned his post as chairman of the Committee to Study Disarmament last night. White led the recent "coup" which attempted unsuccessfully to change the CSD into the Council Against Appeasement.

"With the resignation last Thursday of ten members of the CSD, a majority of the committee may no longer favor me as chairman," White explained.

The ten members who resigned must have "realized that they were stopping the action of the club and decided that their fun was over," Lola M. Lloyd '62, secretary of the CSD, asserted last night.

Dues were refunded to those who re signed, Miss Lloyd said, as a result of an amendment to the constitution passed at the meeting last Wednesday, a day before the ten decided to leave the committee.

The CSD will continue as a study group, presenting speakers on both sides of the disarmament question, Miss Lloyd stated.

On Friday two short talks by John M. Swomley Jr., National Secretary of the Fellowship of Reconciliation, and Daniel S. Cheever '39, lecturer on Government, followed by a discussion, will be co-sponsored by the CSD and the Committee for a Sane Nuclear Policy.

At its organizational meeting last night, the Committee for a Sane Nuclear Policy made plans to promote disarmament, stressing its relationship to world peace. The committee will work in co-operation with the National Student Council for a Sane Nuclear Policy, according to David Hamilton 1G, chairman of the CSNP.

"Our constitution includes specific provisions to insure the integrity of the group and its present purpose," Hamilton, asserted. "We do not plan to compete with or duplicate the work of the CSD."

The newly-elected executive committee of the CSNP will formulate a general policy statement before the group's next meeting, Hamilton added.