Proselytes

With the ever-increasing number of applicants for admission to the College, the problem of choosing the best student becomes a progressively difficult one. This difficulty is intensified by the fact that many applicants do not receive an interview from a member of the Admissions Committee.

The present employees of the Admissions Office do an exceptional job in proselytizing and interviewing throughout the nation. But they are few in number and much of the interviewing must be done by alumni of the College, or in some cases, by alumni of the Harvard graduate schools. Despite their Harvard background, alumni often do not know much about the present intellectual climate or undergraduate composition of the College. This lack of knowledge is not conducive to the selection of the candidates best able to benefit from a Harvard education.

By adding more traveling representatives, the Admissions Office would not only insure each applicant a qualified interviewer, but would stimulate interest in many superior secondary school students whom the Harvard dragnet does not now enmesh. This addition to the Admissions staff would certainly cost more money, but the selection of the best undergraduate body for Harvard College is certainly well worth the expenditure.