Test Ban Talks Appear Doomed As Both Sides Reject Proposals; Berlin Mayor Sees No Blockade

By The ASSOCIATED Press

GENEVA, Nov. 16--A breakdown of the East-West negotiations on nuclear test suspension clearly became a possibility yesterday in view of rejection by each side of proposals put forward by the other. The United States rejected a Soviet plan on the ground the Russians sought to extract a promise to end tests without giving guarantees on a control system.

The Soviet Union turned thumbs down on a counterproposal advanced by the United States. The American plan, brought in with British backing, urged the three powers to accept a double commitment to end tests and to establish the necessary international machinery to police such a ban.

Berlin Blockade Not Probable

BERLIN, Nov. 16--Willy Brandt, mayor of West Berlin, said yesterday he does not believe the Communists are going to blockade his city now. In a soothing radio address to fellow West Berliners, Brandt declared: "I do not believe that the American transport planes which are standing by will have to be used."

Brandt said he suspects the Soviets and the East Germans are campaigning to get the Western allies out of West Berlin for two main reasons:

1. They want to stop the stream of anti-Communist refugees using West Berlin as a gateway to the West.

2. The Communists want to shatter the stability of West Berlin's free economy.

GOP Plans Revitalization

WASHINGTON, Nov. 16--Chairman Meade Alcorn has won the personal blessing of President Eisenhower, Vice President Nixon and Gov.-elect Nelson A. Rockefeller for drastic moves to revitalize the Republican party after its disastrous Nov. 4 defeat. Alcorn, who presided over the worst licking the GOP has taken in years, ordinarily would be expected to bow out and let another man rebuild.

Instead, the Republican chairman has received the approval of President Eisenhower, Nixon and Rockefeller to do what he can toward infusing new blood into the party.