Rev. Newbigin Discusses Aspects Of 'Content of Christ's Revelation'

After concluding his third lecture by discoursing on the doctrine of Election, The Right Reverend J. A. Lesslie Newbigin discussed in the main body of last night's lecture the content of Christ's revelation.

The Rev. Dr. Newbigin asserted that certain metaphysical and ethical problems inherent in the Election doctrine make it offensive to Christians. The concept of the People of God is not an "eschatological expectation," he explained, but the people are the new humanity, the people whose Church is the clue to the meaning of world history.

The speaker then expounded on the "dual character of the Gospel" and on the "new reality" of Christ's revelation. He explained that the Revelation is the announcement of something come, yet also coming. It is the coming of a new epoch--"the presence of the living God among men."

Aspects of this new reality are three. One is the new "beloved community," welded by Christ's death into a society of men concerned for their neighbors. The fruit of this new community is love--the second aspect. The two manifestations of the Church's love are in word and action, that is, evangelism and service.

The third aspect of the "new reality" "expresses the dual character of the Gospel, the having come and the anticipated coming. The concept of the "Pilgrim People," journeying towards a great and divine goal, expresses the dualism of the Gospel and its teachings.

The final portion of last night's lecture, the results of Christ's revelation, will be presented by Dr. Newbigin prior to his lecture this evening.

The William Belden Noble Lecturer has already considered the doctrine of Creation and of Sin, in his lecture series at Memorial Church.