Center Plans Face Possible 3 Year Delay

College May Acquire Building for Activities

Plans for a building to house merged Harvard-Radcliffe student activities will probably not be made for at least three years, Dean Watson disclosed yesterday. If such a center is provided, he added, "it will be a modest structure built strictly for merged activities."

The Faculty Committee on Student Activities discussed the center at its meeting yesterday afternoon. However, they made no decision on it, Watson said.

He emphasized that the building will not supply rooms for activities without joint membership. "We hope that eventually all extra-curricular activities with strictly Harvard membership will find space in the Houses," he noted.

At present, all merged clubs, except drama groups, must request meeting places through the offices of Watson and Miss Frances R. Brown, Radcliffe Dean of Residences. "We expect that an activities center would cure this problem," he said.

The Adminstrations of both institutions would probably finance the building. Since this problem has arisen in the last year, "most alumni aren't aware of it and probably wouldn't donate a great deal of money toward the center," Watson pointed out.

A structure already in existence will probably be used for the center. However, Watson said that it is still too early to guess whether it will be located at Harvard, Radcliffe, or some place in between.