Fencers Face Princeton in First Ivy Meet; Enter as Underdogs to Experienced Tigers

Varsity fencers will be looking for their first Ivy League victory when they meet Princeton this Saturday at 2 p.m. in the I.A.B.

The Tigers, enthused by their win over Columbia, are strong favorites to win, although coach Edo Marion thinks his team, which will be fencing on home ground, might possibly be able to squeak by to victory.

Captain Peter Boyce, with an 8-5 record, will lead the foil squad against the Princeton bladesmen, who lost to Columbia, 5 to 4.

Mike Klapper and Bill Trebilcock will fence second and third positions in foil, with Dick Johnson, and Bill Bassetti in reserve.

Fencing sabre will be Mitch Thomas, an All-American and All-Ivy choice last year, Doug Runnels, and Manuel Cabral. Mike Woolf will be in reserve.

An experienced epee team will try to avenge its losses to Cornell and Columbia. Tony Enders, Bruce Parker, and Dave Schwartz will start, with sophomore Jim Roberts in reserve.

Although they have had an unimpressive season so far in Ivy League competition, Crimson fencers showed remarkable improvement in their recent victories over M.I.T. and the University of Connecticut.

Recommended Articles

Men's, Women's Fencers Place High at Regional Qualifiers
The Harvard men's and women's fencing team had a successful weekend, playing in a regional tournament held at Wellesley. A
Fencing Falls to Ivy Foes
Fencing is a sport that has sometimes been referred to as "physical chess." The Harvard fencing teams engaged in these
Women's Fencing Lands Two in NCAAs
1998-99 was a transitional year for the Harvard fencing teams, and the women and men weathered it with very different
M. Fencing Beats Tufts; Both Drop to Lions
Hosting both Columbia and Tufts on Saturday, the Harvard fencing teams both fell to Ivy foe Columbia, while the men
Steady Improvement Helps Fencing Foils Foes
Sometimes numbers do lie. Although their records may a forgettable year, both the Harvard men and women's fencing teams enjoyed
Harvard Fencing Foils All
For the initiated, fencing is fencing--two people in white attire engaging in some fancy swords play. The sport's apparent simplicity,