Varsity Five Seeks Second Place Berth In League Contests

By Mark L. Krupnick

Second place in the Ivy League will be on the line this weekend when the Crimson quintet meets Princeton on the Tigers' home court tonight and then travels to Philadelphia on Saturday to challenge Penn. The varsity, underdog in both games, must win one of the two to maintain its better than .500 record in League play and to stay in contention for second place.

Princeton and Penn, both with a 6-3 record, currently control second position. The Crimson, tied with Yale, is directly behind with a 5-4 record. Each team has five League games remaining and is rated little chance of overtaking first-place Dartmouth, which has lost only to the Elis and has won eight games.

To beat the Tigers, the Crimson defense will have to be tighter than in the team's triumph over Brown last weekend. Princeton, rated 14 points better than the visitors, has an excellently balanced workhorse five, all of whom can and will shoot.

Princeton Star Injured

Junior Carl Belz, an All-Ivy Leaguer last year, is probably Princeton's best shot. A six-foot four-inch forward, Belz has been sidelined with an ankle injury lately and is a doubtful starter for tonight's game. If he goes not play, twin brother Herman, an excellent rebounder but less dangerous shotmaker, will start in his place.

Sophomore guard Art Klein is the team's playmaker, and his set-shooting from outside may pose a threat to the varsity's 2-1-2 zone defense. Dave Fulcomer, a 6-6 center and one of the best big men in the League, is the center of the Tiger offense.

Coach Cappy Cappon's five relies on a three-man weave in the back court with Fulcomer at high post and Belz posting under the boards. The Tigers will probably not attempt to drive through the middle against the Crimson zone, but will shoot from outside or work the ball into Fulcomer for a jump shot around the foul line of try to get the ball to Belz.

To a great extent, the Crimson's success will depend on its ability to block out Fulcomer and Belz under the offensive backboard. On defense the Tigers play a man-to-man, which means that Fulcomer will probably cover Bryant Danner, whose rebounding has been spotty this season.

For the visitors, Coach Floyd Wilson will once again start Chuck Wolle, Monk Muncaster, and Danner up front. Captain Dick Woolston, who turned in a more than satisfactory performance in the Brown win, can replace any one of the three and will probably play at least half of the game. Mike Donohue and Bob Repetto will start in the back court