Army to Change College Courses In ROTC Study

By Thomas M. Pepper

Government 180 and Government 185 will replace the present University-taught courses in the modified Harvard Army ROTC curriculum, according to Col. DeVere P. Armstrong, professor of Military Science and Tactics. He stated yesterday that these changes are subject to the approval of "higher Army authority," and in any case are definite only for the academic year 1958-59.

Sophomores in ROTC will take Government 180, "Principles of International Politics," taught by Daniel S. Cheever '39 and Henry A. Kissinger '50, lecturers on Government. Seniors will take Government 185, "The United States in World Politics," taught by Dean Bundy and Robert R. Bowie, Director of the Center for International Affairs.

May to Take Sabbatical

A Spring term course, Government 180, will replace History 138, given by Ernest R. May, assistant professor of History, who will be on sabbatical next year. Sophomores will take Military Science 2b in the Fall instead of in the Spring.

In the Fall, Military Science IV students will take Government 185 instead of Government 159, which will not be offered next year. Certain qualified Seniors may enroll in a new seminar on "Problems of military policy and its relation to foreign policy," also given by Kissinger.

The purpose of this experiment, according to Armstrong, is to give future Harvard officers a much broader viewpoint on world affairs than the straight military reserve training provides. The University's program is considerably more difficult than the average Army ROTC course, and thus provides its students with a better quality of training.