Report Shows Slight Slump In Fund Gifts

Contributions to the Program for Harvard College have slowed down slightly despite the Harvard's Day broadcast on March 28. Alexander M. White '25, General Chairman of the Program, announced yesterday that $37,298,707 had been donated as of April 16.

In the 20 days that have elapsed since Harvard's Day, the Program has received $1,622,707, averaging less than $80,000 per day. Earlier, the fund was receiving donations at an average of about $100,000 per day.

Laurence O. Pratt '26, Publicity Director of the Program, attributed the slack in the contributions to the recent religious controversy, saying that it had done a certain amount of "disservice" to the drive. Pratt added, however, "It won't hurt any more, now that the issue is settled."

Local Alumni to Exceed Goal

Response to the appeal from local alumni has been exceptionally good With $8,543,206 already collected, Augustin H. Parker, Jr. '32, Program chairman for the Boston area, predicted that Boston would exceed its $11,000,000 quota before next June 12.

The amount raised nationally to date represents 45 percent of the $82,500,000 goal set for the Program. There have been 9,003 gifts, averaging $4,144 per gift.

Program officials expect to raise the major amount of their goal among the 45,000 living alumni of the College. Alumni have so far contributed a total of $31,242,076 to the Program, with other sources, including alumni of the graduate schools, foundations, and corporations, contributing the remainder.