USSR Exchange Tour to Include 5 Students Here

Five Harvard and Radcliffe students will be among the 40 Americans traveling to Russia on a student exchange this summer. The exchange was arranged by four member-organizations of the Council on Student Travel, following Russian-American talks on lowering the barriers to cultural exchange.

Included in the group sponsored by the Experiment in International Living are Guido Goldman '59, John H. Mudd '60, and Miss Carolyn J. Rogers '58. Miss Myra Bergman 1G and Miss Grace Thompson 2G will travel with the YM-YWCA group.

The Americans will spend 39 days in Russia, nine days longer than tourists are ordinarily allowed. They will have ten days of orientation in Moscow, including a stay at Moscow University. During their travels, they will live in Russian youth camps.

In the original agreement, 40 Russian students were to come here, but the U.S.S.R. has since cut the group to 20.

The American organizations hope to arrange for the Russian students to stay in American homes, but the Russians question this plan.

The Experiment in International Living had hoped to arrange "homestays," the heart of its trips to other countries, for the Americans in Russia. However, even after an American offer to sleep on the floors of crowded Russian homes, the USSR flatly refused permission.

Another experiment group will go to Poland for the first time this summer. Among the ten members of the group are Miss Joan Barth 2G, Robert D. Gamble '60, and Miss Judith A. Gilmartin '59. The group will stay in Polish homes, either in Warsaw or in Krakow.