BLUE MONDAY

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Without taking either side in what has become the HSA "issue," I would like to point out an unfortunate--perhaps inevitable--side-effect of the attendant debate.

As a result of the dubious publicity accorded HSA during the past several weeks, a distinct prejudice has evidently developed in the community against any student enterprise. As the manager of an independent student operation, whose livelihood depends on the goodwill of this community, I am necessarily concerned....

There are many small student businesses which have no connection with either HSA or the University and which perform a valuable service to the community. There are others, like my own, which enjoy a constructive relationship with the University through its Student Employment Office (which provides my own business with good and needy student workers), which yet have no connection with HSA. But in the mind of the Harvard community, the onus which rightly or wrongly has been attached to that well-intentioned organization has affected all student enterprise with a public opinion "fall-out" that has seriously injured--which in fact vitally threatens--their operation.

... Not all student enterprises are connected with HSA, and many, both within and without that organization, are attempting to provide an honest and valuable service to this community. The unqualified debate over HSA has jeopardized that effort and our very existence. Lee Chandler '57-4,   Manager, Harvard Laundermat