Baseball Team Beats B.C. With 3-Run Rally in Ninth

By Walter L. Goldfrank

Generous fielding and spotty pitching by Boston College gave the varsity nine enough scoring opportunities to register a ninth-inning, 10-7 victory yesterday afternoon at Soldiers Field. The Crimson now has a 2-2-1 record in Greater Boston League play.

The varsity scored three times in each of the last two frames to overcome B.C.'s 7-4 lead. The early Eagle margin resulted from a six-run uprising in the bottom of the fifth. B.C. served as the home team.

In the top of the eighth, a walk to Bob Clearly, two Eagle errors, a triple to center by George Harrington, a single by Frank Saia, and two very wild pitches by B.C.'s George Giersch enabled the varsity to tie up the contest.

Run Forced In

In the following inning, a single by Kent Hathaway, a walk to John Getch, and another error loaded the bases for the Crimson with two men out. Giersch forced in the winning run by walking pinch-hitter Charlie Leamy. Then, after he passed Tom Bergantino, he was replaced by Dave Bowen, who walked in the final run before retiring Saia.

Dave Brigham, the fourth Crimson hurler of the afternoon, picked up his fifth win of the season easily by setting down B.C. in their last at bat. Preceding him on the mound for the varsity were starter Herb Scheiner, Steve Rhoades and Byron Johnson. Of these, only Johnson was effective.

The Crimson opened the scoring in the third on Bergantino's single and Kent Hathaway's triple, but the Eagles came back in their half of that inning to even it up on an unearned run.

A hectic squeeze play capped a threerun rally in the varsity's fifth, but B.C. again fought fine with fire by taking the lead for the only time in the game.

Rhoades Replaces Scheiner

Rhoades took over for Scheiner with two runs in and men on first and second. He struck out Jim Cotter, but then walked Charlie Stebbins to load the bases. Then a nifty triple steal, a tworun single by Bob Shannon, and the second of four varsity errors gave the Eagles their other runs. It was not the best-played game of the season.

Tomorrow afternoon, the Crimson travels to Annapolis in an attempt to retain first place in the E.I.B.L. Navy, currently occupying fifth place with a 2-2 league record, will probably have to cope with Brigham, who will be seeking his sixth straight victory.