Golf Squad Wins Double Victory Over Quakers 4-3, Columbia 6-1

The Crimson golf team, which seems to be headed for a victory over Yale on Wednesday, defeated Columbia and the University of Pennsylvania this weekend, 6 to 1 and 4 to 3. The match was played Saturday afternoon at the Rockland Country Club in New York.

This was the first varsity win over Penn in three years. The Quakers have an exceptionally strong team this year, with a season record of nine and two. Columbia, whose record is 4-4, has little golf talent except for their number one man, and is playing league golf for the first time this year.

Varsity captain Warren Iliff moved up to number one this weekend, but lost both matches to two of the best golfers the Crimson has faced this season. Penn's Don Narbury, a sophomore undefeated in 12 times out and one of the strongest contenders for the Eastern Championship, defeated Iliff, 7-6. Narbury has shot 12-under par for the season. Iliff also lost to the Lion's former Northwestern golf star Jim Iverson, 6-4.

Playing number two, Perry Driggs defeated Columbia, 7-6, and halved on the last hole with Penn's Rob Roy, one up. Frank Dodge shot par on the nineteenth to defeat Penn, one up, and took his match from Columbia 7-6.

Number-four man Dave Beady defeated Penn, 2-1, and Columbia, 5-3, shooting under 78 for the third straight match. Bob Grundeman lost to the Quakers, 4-2, but came back to defeat the Lions, 3-1.

Moving up to number six, Bob David took a double win, defeating Penn, 3-2, and Columbia, 5-4. Wat Tyler, playing in the bottom spot, lost to the Quakers, 2-1, but took his match from the Lions, 5-3.