Yale Golfers Beat Varsity By Convincing 7-0 Margin

Last year the varsity golf team upset Yale for its first win over the Elis in 26 years. Yesterday, however, playing on their own tricky, rain-soaked course, the Bulldogs shut out the Crimson, 7 to 0.

The only close match was between number two man Perry Driggs and Yale golfer Bob Wilford. Driggs fought to the eighteenth before bowing, one up.

But in the six other matches, Crimson golfers were outclassed. Unfamiliar with the wet, well-trapped holes, they had virtually no chance of defeating their more seasoned opponents, and most of them lost by tremendous margins.

At number one, Yale's Franz Dolph won the medal with 73, downing Alan Steinert, 4 and 3. At number four, Frank Dodge lost, 3 and 2, and at number five, Crimson captain Warren Iliff was crushed, 5 and 4.

The remaining three varsity golfers were beaten on the thirteenth hole. Number three man Bob David lost to Long Island Amateur Champion Al Gilison, 6 and 5, and number six man Dave Beadie succumbed to Tom McCullogh by the same count. At number seven, Yale's Mike Phillips trounced Bob Grundeman, 7 and 5.

Yesterday's defeat does not make matters look any better for the Crimson in the Eastern Intercollegiate Championships, which will be played this weekend on the Yale course. The tournament consists of 36 holes of medal play.