Varsity Eleven Has Depth Problem Below First Team

By Frederick W. Byron jr.

With two weeks of practice and scrimmaging behind it, the varsity football team is beginning to look as though it will figure much more prominently in the Ivy League race than most observers had previously expected.

The Crimson will face its first test of the year when it engages Tufts in a practice scrimmage Saturday afternoon. The team's season open officially a week from Saturday, against Buffalo.

Depth Problem

As has been the case in the past few seasons, depth will probably decide the Crimson's future. The varsity appears to be very strong at the starting positions; but below this the picture clouds up quickly, and here coach John Yovicsin will have to hope for the rapid development of some fairly untried talent, especially in the line, where seems to lie the fate of the 1958 varsity eleven.

Giving the Crimson one of its strongest first teams in recent years will be a group of returning starters, led by captain and all-Ivy left tackle Bob Shaunessy and left halfback Chet Boulris, who was named to the second all-Ivy team at that position. Shaunessy's top-notch complement at right tackle, 220-pound Pete Briggs, right guard veteran Hal Anderson, and center Bob Foster, the big "surprise" on last years seventh place team, will be the other returning linemen.

Backfield Veterans

In the backfield, besides Boulris, the Crimson's starting quarterbacks, Ron Johanson and Dick McLaughlin, and rugged fullback Sam Halaby will be returning.

Despite such promising appearances, however, the varsity's greatest problem will be depth. A large percentage of coach Yovicsin's returning lettermen are concentrated in a very few positions, and in addition to this fact, the team has been hit by the loss of guards Tom Hill, Chauncey Walker, and Carl Framke, who have decided not to come out for the squad this year, and by early practice injuries to Tito Francis and Jerry Weidler, both of whom had been counted on to help solve the Crimson's depth problem up front.

Line Set

In the line, starting positions seem to be fairly well set, with Stu Hershon, who has looked very good in scrimmages, and Hal Keohane at ends, Briggs and Shaunessy at tackles, Anderson and Jim Keating at guards, and Foster at center.

But behind Shaunessy and Briggs, only Jack Foker has had any significant experience, and Yovicsin will have to rely on essentialy untried talent to back them up. At guard, Anderson and Keating will be supported by sophomore Terry Lenzner, who has shown much promise, and again, below this, things are pretty uncertain. At center and end, the situation has eased a bit as practice has progressed. Pete Eliades is a dependable understudy behind Foster, and below Hershon and Keohane, Warren Huff and sophomore Bert Messenbaugh have looked good.

In the backfield, prospects definitely are bright. With Boulris at left half and Don Gerety, Albie Cullen, and Charlie Leamy also returning, the Crimson will have nice depth at the halfback positions. To bolster this situation further, sophomores Larry Repsher and Glenn Haughie, both halfbacks, have looked extremely fast in scrimmage, and Yovicsin will lean heavily on them this fall. Repsher, in particular, has shown himself to be an explosive runner--probably the fastest man on the squad--and may well be in a starting spot by season's end.

The quarterback slot, with McLaughlin, Johanson, and sophomore Charlie Ravenal, appears to be in good hands, as does the fullback position, where veterans Sam Halaby and Chris Hauge promise to give Yovicsin consistent strength up the middle. Halaby, especially, has shown considerable improvement over last year and should be a considerable running threat along with Boulris.

Thus, depth in the line will probably tell the tale. If the Crimson can avoid damaging injuries, especially up front, the varsity could find itself in the Ivy League's first division; if not, there'll be many a sad Saturday afternoon in the Stadium this fall.